Friday, October 24, 2008

10/23/08

Definitely an interesting change of tone in the training for me, and I think also for the trainees. Monday we renewed our purpose and discussed the vision of the business – what it will look like in one year. Each person brought out their ideal, and I could see these ideals become resolve on the faces and in the general attitude over the past few days. Their new resolve has strengthened my own, as I hope mine will now strengthen theirs.

I see it as critical to be fluid regarding the structure of the training and start-up of the business. Fluid meaning that as a group, we regularly speak freely about and re-evaluate our direction, our goals, and the tasks involved to accomplish those goals, and then put the result of this re-evaluation into practice. Fluidity will keep our goals and actions better aligned with the changes happening in each individual, in the group dynamic, and in the general social situation, which I believe will add to the potency and desirability of the business to the workers, and then to a consistently renewed determination and resolve among them. We have shown some resiliency so far – reaching a plateau for a number of days, experiencing some frustration, and then overcoming whatever non-specific obstacle we faced as a group leading to a tangible feeling of accomplishment. I think that bringing the training back to a semi-structured learning focus has helped. Truing wheels.

For the past two days, we trued wheels – fortunately we happened to have six truing stands. This was the first time I introduced wheel truing, because it’s a delicate process that requires some patient controlled skill. I wanted to introduce it when I felt the trainees were ready. They told me they are ready, so there it is. Yesterday, each person was given a wheel that wobbled, and despite my thorough demonstration and ongoing individual support, the wheels seemed to wobble a bit more after a few hours. Hmm. I explained ways of remembering the direction to turn the spoke wrench in order to tighten and loosen spoke nipples, but it seemed that the trainees often resorted to trial and error, with at times unintended results, leading to a general sense of confusion. I was going from person to person, working with them, and was mildly bewildered. By the end of the day, the wheels looked better, less wobble, good. We continued yesterday with the same wheels – each person starting with fresh attention, and gradually the wheels became true – the confusion ceased, a pleasant relief. Then I grabbed some newer wheels that were already perfectly true, gave each one a specific (small) wobble ranging on six consecutive spokes, and let the trainees apply their technique. In a relatively short period of time, each wheel was true, and the trainees got the chance to try and true their technique. It was a generally positive day that felt like a small breakthrough. Each trainee did something that requires concentration and skill, and it’s not something that every person can do. I’m told that many of the bicycle repairers in Koforidua do not competently true wheels – there are specific repairers known for their skill who get consulted for the difficult jobs. The trainees have proven themselves.

Especially Miriam. The first day of wheel truing, Miriam finished first. This is partly due to the fact that I put a bit of time in to straighten her potato chip wheel – not sure how that happened. I gave her a head start on the others by leaving her with less intense wobble. So I wasn’t sure if she really knew what she was doing or if she was just lucky. I then gave her a new problem on the wheel that included radial truing. In 20 minutes, she was done. I check the wheel, perfect. I congratulate her, and she beamed. I think that Miriam had her confidence shaken about two weeks ago because she is the only female designated as mechanic, and that the other three male mechanics kinda take over the run of things in the workshop. The mechanics have been working mostly in pairs at this point, though sometimes individually. The men will tend to dominate the process, and let Miriam watch and assist where she can. We talked about this as a group and I appealed to the men to recognize Miriam’s position as the only female mechanic among men who mostly have previous mechanics experience, and to give her the chance to lead or at least have equal work, and for the entire group of mechanics, men and women, to actively learn from and teach each other. The dynamic in the workshop was more egalitarian after that meeting. Anyway, Miriam did an excellent job on the wheel. Yesterday, I gave her a new wheel which she trued in record time – I was convinced. She knows what she’s doing. I gave her a wheel to dish – 20 minutes later she tells me she’s done. I check it. Right on. I look at the other male mechanics, faces sweating, eyes squinting, hunched over their truing stands, trying to alleviate the incessant wobble, and I tell Miriam that she did a good job. Miriam then went around and helped the others to complete their wheels, which they did. We all talked about the experience of truing wheels, and we felt satisfied with the day.

We also are framing the shop budget – developing a strategy to manage the money we’ve got, to build-up and sell the bikes we’ve got at a rate that will allow the shop to finish paying the landlord for the two stores we already occupy, and to give us a comfortable cushion in reserve for the next container, while still paying training stipends and engaging in essential workshop developments. It is really cool to engage in this problem solving with Maude and Torsutsey. This is practical experience for them. I like not being the mastermind, and sharing the thought process. We’ll continue today, and keep this boat a’sailing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home